Friday, April 28, 2006

Developments at work

You may remember that my work is being outsourced and that it's possible that I may be offered an early retirement package from this job. I'd get a few thousand pounds lump sum, and probably my full pension right away. I might be able to pay off the mortgage and other debts, then find a less stressful, less well paid job.

This sounds good in theory. But I know very well that it's hard for older people to find jobs. Studies show that generally we're more reliable, we have a better attitude, and we have experience of both work and life. But we expect to be paid accordingly. Younger people tend to be paid less because they don't know what they're worth, and they tend to be easier to hire and fire. So the same studies show that in the majority of cases, employers will take on younger rather than older people.So I'm under no illusion. Taking an early exit might give me a boost right now, but how will things be in a year; two years; five years? No one knows the answer to this.

And now, out of the blue, I have the opportunity to transfer to facilities management within the department, which will give me some security for at least another couple of years, and of course they'll pay me the same wage as I get now. It's not a job that I particularly want to do, but I can't really afford to turn it down. And it's an easy option because I won't even need to be interviewed for it, it's being offered 'on a plate.' The other alternative is to transfer to the company that is taking over the IT Support function from our department, but there are a load of factors that make me reluctant to take that route.

I have a few days to make up my mind about which route I should take and I'm not keen on any of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home